- Pleiades accepted two of my poems for publication! A wonderful end-of-2016 surprise.
- Check out my article on contemporary female Galician poets, just published in volume 2 of Poéticas, a Granada-based academic journal. I’m thrilled to appear alongside two poems by Yusef Komunyakaa, translated by Juan José Vélez Otero.
- Three poems were accepted in late 2016 for publication in The Lampeter Review and Far Off Places!
- Candidate, University of Washington, graduation in June 2017:
- MFA in Creative Writing, Poetry
- MA in Hispanic Studies
- B.A., University of Louisville, 2008: 3.99 GPA. Degree in Spanish, minors in French and Russian. Magna Cum Laude.
Creative Writing Publications:
- “Sojourn” & “On Airports” in Pleiades (Forthcoming).
- “Memorials” & “Bardstown (No. 3)” in The Lampeter Review (Forthcoming).
- “The Milky Way in California” in Far Off Places (Forthcoming).
- “Campers,” “Our Monster,” & “Figurine Work,” published in CURA: A Literary Magazine of Art & Action, Fall 2014.
- “Peaceable Creatures,” published in The Tusculum Review, April 2014.
- “Bird Attack at Blank Point,” published in DIAGRAM, May 2011.
Creative Writing Awards & Recognition:
- University of Washington’s Grace Milliman Pollock Scholarship (2016-2017)
- Oakley Hall III Memorial Scholarship to attend the Community of Writers, Squaw Valley, California (2016)
- Finalist, University of Washington Academy of American Poets Prize (2015)
- Finalist in fiction, 2012 Summer Literary Seminars Unified Literary Contest.
- Finalist in fiction, 2011 Summer Literary Seminars Unified Literary Contest.
- Finalist in poetry, 2010 Summer Literary Seminars Unified Literary Contest.
- University of Louisville Creative Writing Scholarship, awarded for poetry (2007).
Academic & Nonfiction Publications:
- “Una nueva poética gallega: autodestrucción y renacimiento en la última poesía femenina” (“A New Galician Poetics: Self-Destruction and Rebirth in the Work Contemporary Female Poets”), Poéticas, September 2016.
- Presented papers on Spanish literature and poetry at 4 conferences:
- Kentucky Foreign Language Conference (2016)
- North American Symposium of Galician Studies Conference (2016)
- Samuel G. Armistead Colloquium in Latin American and Peninsular Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (2015)
- Spanish Matters Colloquium on Cultural and Literary Studies in the Hispanic World (2015).
- Presented a paper on what creative writing teachers can learn from study abroad pedagogy for the University of Washington’s Praxis Conference on Multilingual Learning (2015).
- Published hundreds of newspaper and magazine articles as a freelance journalist and as a reporter/photographer and News Editor at The Kentucky Standard. See entry under “Work Experience” below for more on my freelance work.
- Wrote blog entries for independent publisher Sarabande Books during my time as an editorial intern, Jan.-May 2010.
- “Frantz Fanon’s Call to Anti-Colonial Violence.” Research paper, ProQuest’s CultureGrams website, Oct. 2011.
- Volunteered and blogged at the 2009 Women’s Islamic Initiative in Spirituality and Equality Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Maintained a personal blog during my 10 months in Malaysia as a Fulbright Fellow.
Native English speaker. Fluency in Spanish and French conversation, reading and writing. Some Russian and Malay.
- Fulbright Fellowship: English Teaching Assistantship in Malaysia: Jan.-Oct. 2009.
- Critical Languages Scholarship to study Russian in St. Petersburg, Russia: Summer 2007.
- 22 photojournalism awards from the Washington Press Association and the Kentucky Press Association for investigative reporting, feature writing, photography, and page design.
Public Relations Manager — Open Books: A Poem Emporium (Sept. 2016 to present)
- Promote readings, conversations, and book releases at one of just four poetry-only bookstores in the country.
- Plan and initiate community outreach and partnerships to encourage poetry awareness, enjoyment, and sharing.
- Identify and harness new income streams.
- Increase Open Books’ brand awareness on a local and national level.
Instructor, Creative Writing & Spanish Language — University of Washington (Sept. 2014 to present)
- Teach introductory Spanish-language courses, including SPAN 101, 103, and 201.
- Teach and design the syllabus for a class on literature and film, as well as guide and advise students on a daily basis, as Co-director (2017) and Instructor (2015) in a study abroad program in San Sebastián, Spain.
- Teach and design the syllabus for two sections of “Writers on Writing,” a 200-level English course (2016-2017).
Public Relations Manager — Killer Infographics (Jan. 2014 to present)
- Increase thought leadership of the company and its co-founders through public speaking engagements.
- Boost brand awareness and engagement on a national and international scale through awards and media outreach.
- Design initiatives and campaigns to expand the company’s clientele.
Freelance Writer (2009 to 2015)
Freelance writing and photography have appeared in YES! Magazine online, LEO Weekly (Louisville, KY), Memphis Magazine, The Downs (Official Kentucky Derby and Oaks program), The Voice-Tribune (Louisville), (A)WAY magazine (Belgium), ExpatArrivals.com, and ProQuest CultureGrams and Discovery Guides.
Senior Research & Content Editor – Killer Infographics (Oct. 2012 to Aug. 2014)
- Research, edit and write infographics on a broad variety of topics, including health, marketing, investing and cultural trends. Infographics have appeared on such notable sites as Mashable.
- Vary style and tone based on client needs. Work with such noteworthy clients as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Copywriting for multiple company web pages.
News Editor – The Kentucky Standard (July to Aug. 2012)
- Coordinate story assignment and manage story quality in the Kentucky Standard newsroom.
- Copy edit all content to be published in the paper and head the design for every issue of the paper, including planning for and implementing front pages and special sections.
Reporter/Photographer – The Kentucky Standard (Oct. 2010 to June 2012)
- Write and take photographs for a variety of articles, including investigative pieces, feature stories, hard news, event coverage and crime. Update the website and social media sites daily with new and breaking news.
- Design graphics for articles and lay out pages. Take video and collect information for TV news stories at PLG-News 13.
- Beats included police/fire, courts, education, planning & zoning, fiscal court, agriculture, and tourism.
- Write the newspaper’s social media strategy. Primary operator of the paper’s Facebook and Twitter pages.
Editorial Intern – Sarabande Books, Inc. (Jan. 2010 to May 2010)
- Managed general correspondence, including queries, submissions, and review copy requests. Wrote regular blog entries.
- Designed the spring newsletter, a flyer, an event program, and educational information sheets. Planned an author tour.
English Teaching Assistant – Fulbright Fellowship in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia (Jan. 2009 to Oct. 2009)
- Designed my own curriculum in English speaking/writing proficiency for classes of 25-40 students, ages 13-18.
- Organized extracurricular educational activities, including an English Camp with an environmental awareness theme, field trips, scavenger hunts, and a cultural immersion day. Supervised the debate team and the English Club.
- Implemented extracurricular creative writing classes, where many students composed their first poems and stories in English.